21st NOVEMBER 2019 — Oriental Club
Chinese Fine Wine: decidedly not an oxymoron
The inaugural HKS Business Network Chinese-wine tasting evening was held on Thu 21st November from 6.30pm (for 7pm) at the historic Oriental Club, Stratford House, 11 Stratford Place, W1C 1ES.
The aim of the evening was to indulge in some good old HK-style networking while challenging pre-conceived or out-dated perceptions of Chinese wine.
The Head Chef, Wesley Smalley, himself originally a HK boy, kindly created a series of delicious canapés to complement each wine.
Panda Fine Wines showcased the following superb Chinese wines together with Wesley’s inspired canapés:
- 2014 Martin Longyan — Spiced Venison Tatare
- 2016 Tiansai Chardonnay Reserve — Tuna Tataki
- 2014 Rongzi Red Label Marselan — Short Rib of Beef with Soy & Sherry Molasses
- 2015 Martin Cabernet Gernischt — Lamb Sheek Kebab, Mint Chutney
- 2015 Jia Bei Lan 2015 — Confit Duck Bon Bon, Blackberry Hoi Sin
- 2013 Cailonglin Gold Label — Apple Tarte Tatin, Colston Bassett Stilton
Each wine has its own incredible story including the innovative methods of protecting the vines and grapes from more extreme weather than other wine-growing regions, how some of China’s billionaires have poached top wine-makers from the likes of Chateau Petrus and how China’s wine industry is rapidly changing away from the poor quality wines of the past to the beautiful world class wines of today.